Monday, February 15, 2010

Organizing for my room and board by Verda

Gary and I are in transition and need a place to stay for a week or so while we look for a place of our own.  Aunt Linda offers to let us stay with her.  She already has roommates,  two Hispanic women with three children and a older fellow who has some physical impairments.  She says she has a huge place but the kitchen is on a schedule for each meal.  We give her the cash and she keeps the fridge and cubbards stocked.  She shows us to our room which is an absolute mess and she tells me, Verda, you guys don't need to pay me to stay here, I want you to organize the whole house, it's in Chaos!  Okay, we get a good night rest, Gary takes off early and I go to the kitchen to get a bite to eat, I forget about the schedule and the women and children are all together.  The women are busy chatting and the children are all in the sink taking a bath while they eat their breakfast.  I apologize for intruding, they don't even know I'm there, and I leave to survey the house.  Oh my goodness.  The whole place looks like it exploded.  Clothes, toys, bedding, personal items, antique furniture, pictures, frames scattered everywhere in every room.  I go to work sorting and come across lots of great things.  Among the regular dirty clothes I find some fabulas Vintage Dresses in excellent condition.  WOW!  these are cool.  I go from room to room organizing and continue to find cool things. Like some great old photos and frames.  It seems like as soon as I get one room completed another one appears like it's being hidden by a majical veil.  I put all the vintage items together so that they can be restored and used in the home for decor and Gary comes into the room. He brings with him two litttle dogs.  Only small in height, these doggies are fat..I don't know how there are walking around. What are you doing with these dogs, I ask.  Well, Papa said to bring them to you.  WHY?  I don't know why, I'm just doing what I'm told.  Gary disappears and the dogs follow me everywhere. They are actually kind of cute.  Next thing I know Angie and Julie are with me, I need a break and say to the girls, let's go outside and survey the yard work.  The back yard is one very large area with grass and two sad little trees in the back corner.
 Nothing to do here I say to the girls, let's go out front.  The gravel driveway is a mess, there are piles of bricks strewn along the length of the yard, the flower bed s are all overgrown.  Look's like I'll be busy out here tomorrow, the girls disappear, literally, poof! their gone.  The old gentlemen room mate appears and he takes off with a friend, in a 1950's something truck, totally restored,  really cool.  I admire the truck as it pulls out of the drive and go back into the house. HALLEUJAH! A transformation has taken place.  All the photos are in the frames polished and repaired.  The beds are made with all the hand pieced quilts I found, the furniture is restored and in it's proper, useful place and the entire house is spotless.  I go into the Kitchen to begin preparing dinner and I wake up.  I sure got a lot of stuff done, never have I acheived so much in one day and it was nice to see Angie and Julie again, not sure about the dogs.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hello, How do I get in touch with you? There is no email or contact info listed .. please advise .. thanks .. Mary. Please contact me maryregency at gmail dot com