Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Not a dream- True Story- But I wish it was a dream

Okay, so this really happened, but it still feels kind of dream like, and it makes me laugh.
So the other night after giving a presentation for my Graduate Assistantship, I got home and realized that I had left my jump drive in the computer at school. Crap. My jump drive has my whole life on it (All the work of done on my thesis, reports I'm doing for practicum, All of my assignments for entering data for my assistantship), basically if I lost it I would just call it quits and move to Alaska without having a job waiting for me.
So I hop in the car and zoom on back to the university, it's like 8:30 at night, and I go back to the room where I left it.
I look in the room and there's like 30 guys wearing suits and ties all sitting in the classroom. Then I change my angle and at the front of the room there's a panel of 10 older guys wearing suits and someone is giving a presentation.

I have no idea what they were doing in there, but it looked pretty serious. I also had no idea how long it was going to go on, and I had parked in the 15minute parking meter and didn't want to get a ticket on top of not wanting to wait around. So I made the decision that I'd just quietly enter and grab my jump drive.
So as I entered the room and had to walk right down the middle of it in my jeans and t-shirt. Everybody looked at me and got that real uncomfortable look like "What! He can't do that? What the heck?" So I gave a smile and a little half wave like "Hey...wazzup?" The person giving the presentation did a great job of just ignoring me and not making a big deal- he just kept on talking as if I wasn't there. The problem was that he was standing right in front of the computer with my jump drive in it.
So I just had to give him a very confident and polite "Excuse me" and gently pushed/guided him out of my way. Then I grabbed my jump drive, told him "Thanks" and left the meeting.
Yeah.... it was a little awkward. But totally worth it to get my jump drive back. Don't worry, I've backed up everything on my computer now, and will continue to do so.

No comments: